Sunday, February 11, 2007

Relaxing at Puerto Penasco, Mexico




Well, here I am relaxing on the beach after a couple of tough days. I’ve really had to pull my share of the weight lately. First, we crossed into Mexico and Dad hit the red light so got pulled over for an inspection. He had trouble setting the bike on the kickstand ( it is so top heavy that once he started unloading it, it nearly tipped over). Then Mom stalled her bike ( and we know by now that she can seldom start it with the kick starter so there she was) Well I knew that some diversionary tactics were necessary, so right away, I jumped off Dad’s bike and ran around jumping up on the border officials and running under parked cars and trying to make friends with the border drug sniffing dog. This made Mom step up to the plate and she got her bike started so that she could move it, park it and chase after me. By the time we were all finished, all the border people were laughing, and feeling so sorry for Dad they only looked in one of his many containers on the bike and just shook their heads. Sud America eh?

Then once again I had to provide some comic relief when we went through the first toll gate. Dad agreed to pay for Mom too and then he paid and the bar lifted up and we went through. Then Mom pulled up and not knowing that she had to wait for the bar to drop and then raise again, she started to go through and the bar dropped on her windshield and broke it in half. Lucky for us the police were right behind Mom and started the lights and siren. She pulled over and things weren’t looking too good. They weren’t speaking English but were making sounds like she was in big trouble for running the toll gate. I once again came to the rescue when Dad & I pulled up to help. Well, the police (there were 3 of them in the car) must have thought I was a movie star with my doggles on and they stopped harassing Mom and started laughing and taking pictures of me on the bike. All ended well when they realized that we were only crazy Canadians.