Monday, February 05, 2007

Death Valley or Bust




Have had a great time here in Death Valley. What a place – long days of riding on the motorcycles with the wind in my face, and long nights of trying to sleep. Gets dark way to early here – around 5:00 so unless we get back to camp early, I don’t have much time for my favorite activity of chasing ravens. They are pretty smart – they approach in flocks of about 6 and while one distracts me and makes me chase it all over the campsite, the others dive in and eat my dog food. My parents pointed out the flaw in my strategy of chasing the low flying birds around the campsite, the rest were feasting on my dog food. I am convinced if I was slightly smaller and more sprightly pomeranian, I could get one of these black devils. I am having a heck of a time maintaining the perimeter.
Between getting bugs in my teeth and stickers in my paws we did a couple of good hikes. In one we went several hundred feet into an old mine shaft...I didn't need to be told to "heel" cause it scared me bad.