Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Copper Canyon Adventures




Hello to all my two legged friends up North. Its Punky checking in on how our three amigos trip is going. After leaving that nice beach full of friendly people Dad tied me into my traveling bag and we hit a very long, boring road that didn’t even have any good vultures or ravens to bark at. To top it off every stop we made had me sweating in my heavy Northern coat…going to have to do something about this problem. We went through a large Mexican city which was kind of scary with all those smoking and noisy trucks around us. By night we had a nice campsite and I did a little running around with Dad before crawling into my home (for the next year the tent). Early in the morning Dad showed me some scorpions…not very interesting and kind of slow after Dad dropped a rock on them.
Mom and Dad then decided I needed a bath in the Rio Yaqui so I was unceremoniously dumped in the river along with them…but he sure did feel good. The road to Creel almost had me sick because of all the corners but the coolest thing was that I got to chase a herd of cows down the road (and almost into mom). These Mexican cows don’t know what hit them when I take after them! We even found some snow…I loved it and for once I wasn’t to hot!
We stopped in at Basaseachic Falls which are supposed to be the tallest falls in Mexico but all I know is that I wasn’t going near the edge of them even if mom and dad wanted me in the pictures! We had a great camp near Creel at Lake Areareco but I sure wasn’t into the fire that mom and dad made in the pines! But the adventure was great and reminded me of home in Alexis Creek with all those big pine trees and lakes.
The next day we headed into some huge hole in the ground that Dad called the Copper Canyon. I don’t know anything about Canyons but this road was rough and shook me all up. But it was great because it was slow and there was lots to see with a lot of stops to run about and explore. We met up with some really cool motorcyclists from Colorado and for once I got my own bed to sleep in at a hotel. We walked around the town of Batapilos and I found lots of four-legged friends. The best thing is that any fast move or bark I made had them running…what power! Some cute girls played with me (eat that up Dylan) and I had just as much fun on the return trip. That night we camped way up in the mountains and there was ice everywhere when we woke up. I guess mom and dad froze because they shuffled me around all night and called me their “heater”…all in all it made for a very restless night. So I’m loving it here in good old Mexico…I had a problem with the people in the beginning (Dad called me a red-neck hound) but now I see that they are very kind and besides mom and dad are starting to look a little dark themselves! Over and out from your friend Punky!